THIS PAGE IS INTENDED FOR USE BY MILITARY AND OVERSEAS VOTERS. IF YOU ARE NOT A MILITARY OR OVERSEAS VOTER, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
The Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) is the primary form for military and overseas voters to use to both register to vote and request an absentee ballot. You may use the FPCA if you are:
- On active duty in the Uniformed Services or Merchant Marine
- An eligible spouse or dependent of someone on active duty in the Uniformed Services or Merchant Marine
- An activated National Guard member on DC orders, or
- A U.S. citizen living outside the country
You may complete the Federal Post Card Application online at the website of the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) here
. Read all instructions printed on the FPCA carefully before completing and signing your application.
If you are using the FPCA to register to vote as well as to request an absentee ballot, your FPCA must be received by the Board by no later than the 21st day before an election.
The deadline for the June 19, 2018 Primary Election is Tuesday, May 29, 2018.
The deadline for the November 6, 2018 General Election is Tuesday, October 16, 2018.
For other key dates and deadlines for the 2018 election cycle, please visit www.dcboe.org
You may also register online here
, or you may download a form here
. For more information on how to register to vote, visit our website here
While we recommend that military and overseas voters use the FPCA to request an absentee ballot, any form of written and signed communication requesting a military/overseas ballot is acceptable. If you choose not use the FPCA, please be sure that any written request for an absentee ballot includes the following information:
- Your name
- The election(s) for which you are requesting a ballot
- The address at which you are registered
- Your current residence address, if different from above
- Your telephone number and email address
- Your date of birth
- Your DC Department of Motor Vehicles-issued identification number, the last four (4) digits of your Social Security Number, or the voter registration number issued to you by the Board
- Your preferred method of ballot delivery (mail, email, or fax)
- Mailing address, email address, or fax number to which ballot should be delivered
- Your original signature (An absentee ballot request sent electronically will be considered to contain an original signature)
You may submit the FPCA or other written absentee ballot request to the DC Board of Elections:
DC Board of Elections
1015 Half Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003
You can also complete the entire absentee ballot request process electronically on your mobile device (smart phone or tablet) by downloading and using our mobile application, Vote 4 DC, and signing your application on your device screen with your fingertip or a stylus.
Requests for absentee ballots should be received by no later than the 3rd day before an election.
The deadline for the June 19, 2018 Primary Election is Saturday, June 16, 2018.
The deadline for the November 6, 2018 General Election is Saturday, November 3, 2018.
You will receive your absentee ballot by mail, email, or fax, depending upon the delivery method you indicated on your application. Instructions on how to vote and return your ballot will be included along with your ballot. Your voted ballot must be received by the Board by no later than 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
You can track the status of your absentee ballot here
. If you are concerned that you may not be able to receive or cast your ballot in time for it to be counted, visit FVAP here
to get a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot, which can be used to cast a vote in all federal contests on the ballot.